Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The art of public speaking



I am just new to my job and thinking to solve one of my future problem that I will be facing soon.

And it is a big one:Recognition from the peers in the company.

When I scrutinize the situation, it came to me clear that to solve this problem , I need to in:

Long term : Work hard to earn my recognition

Short term : In the coming annual sales meeting cum company open house in Headquarter ,Germany to convince people with my speech as my director introduces me to the heads of our subsidiaries.

I guess what can be done is to get the 1st contact and impression correct.

therefore some research in public speaking is really necessary here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Company Background :
Headquarter in Herne, Germany
16 wholly-owned subsidiaries worldwide
2 Joint Ventures
30 agencies and offices in 24 countries
1000 employees worldwide.

Strong message from the owner of company:

Since 1889 the company has been in the sole ownership of the xxxx family.

For generations it was always important for all the family members to be honest and serious in matters concerning employees and business partners.

It is still the desire of all the members of the family to remain an independent family business.

How we can accomplish this together can be seen in the following Value Concepts and Management Guidelines '

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here will be the draft of the speech:

- My short background review
- Introduction
What bring us here together? Business? Its the family value that company emphasized and insisted on!!

- My expectation
-To know every individual in depth day by day. Have dinner, drink together and even watch a movie!
- To learn intensively from everyone , grow and be apart of the family!

- Closing
Once again My name is Eric Boon , This job is my passion , VULKAN is my family!!

Thank you. (about 5 mins)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is the initial draft , I am not sure if it sound convincing though.
My point of view is that besides business, there should be something touches a human's heart, and that is ethical issue and value.

Family value is a good common ground for a international speech although we come from different countries with different background , family is still remain an important value to everyone of us.


Learning Materials:

There are actually some free material online and people can learn from it!!

click here to learn Public speaking

and some clear steps from Mr Mohnot:

INQUIRE about background of audience, purpose of meeting and speeches which will be delivered before yours.

TIP 16
RESEARCH and collect data, exact figures, latest developments, interesting little known facts, expert opinions, any other relevant information which would humor, fascinate or surprise the audience.

TIP 17
BRAINSTORM carry a rough paper or spiral book with you all the time. Let your mind play freely, lazily, on all facets of the subject. Whenever and whatever flashes of ideas, phrases, thoughts and interesting remarks, come to your mind, immediately jot down. Do not select or reject any idea at this stage. Keep playing more on them, wildly, like a child. Give free hand to your creativity.

TIP 18
SIT down with your DATA & SCRAPS, organize them into few major points and discard all the rest unnecessary data .

TIP 19
WRITE a systematic sequential essay ie. The Body of your Speech.

EDIT it for contents, ruthlessly.

TIP 20
AUDIO-EDIT. Read the write up aloud, and hear it as the audience will.
Replace difficult to ears words & phrases with simpler, sweeter ones.
Speech is not an Essay, which can be read again to understand .

TIP 21
THINK of an attention catching, sparkling, luring line of OPENING, and momentous, impact-making, memorable PUNCH-LINE for CLOSING.

TIP 22
SPEAK the complete speech once. Polish Opening & Punch-line.

I hope we learn bit by bit and stay curious!!

Here I end with a memorable speech by Roberto Benigni when he won the Oscar Award

Roberto Begnini - 1999
Roberto Begnini gave us some of the most entertaining Oscar speeches in 1999 when he swept the board with his masterpiece, Life is Beautiful. He started the ceremony by aping around shouting ’Thank you! Thank you! I want to be rocked by the waves of your love!’ when presented with the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. He followed up with a collection of the Best Actor Oscar, ’This must be a mistake because I’ve used up all my English,’ he cried before going on to ramble about ’egg salad sandwiches in the aisles of liquid,’ and how he was ’besiding myself’. As if that wasn’t enough the hilarious chap was invited back the next year to present the Best Actress Oscar, ’I have run around like a dog! Look at me bark! Look at me happy as a yellow wicked film clam!’

view video here

No comments: